Gold Allergy: things You Should Know

allergy

The allergy is a hypersensitivity to certain substances, foods, metals, or other materials, which, when ingested or come into contact, produce certain symptoms.

Many people believe that gold is one of those metals that cause allergies, since they have had negative reactions when wearing gold jewelry.

In this article we explain everything you need to know about a gold allergy.

First: actually, gold is generally not allergic

This may surprise you, but an allergy to gold is rare. It is a metal that can even be ingested with some safety! So why all those gold allergy cases?

golden eggs

The reason is the alloy. A pure gold jewel is 24k. Any gold jewel in Spain is usually 18k, and there are also 14 or even 9 carats. This means that the gold, to harden it, has been alloyed with other metals such as silver, copper, palladium, zinc, and many times, nickel.

It is these alloy metals that cause the most “gold allergies”. Especially nickel, a very toxic metal that has in fact already been banned for jewelry making in the European Union.

How to tell if you have a gold allergy

To find out if you are allergic to this precious metal you must go to a specialist. A dermatologist through a physical examination will be able to determine if you are allergic to gold, and will indicate what treatment you should carry out in case you need them. Now, it is logical that you do not go to the doctor if you do not previously notice that something is wrong, that is why here I mention the most frequent symptoms that a person who is allergic to this metal presents, if you It is familiar, do not hesitate to go to the doctor.

The skin alteration can appear in different ways: redness of the area that made contact with the gold jewel, if you wear a pendant or gold chain you will be able to notice the change in your neck; If it was a bracelet or handle, the skin around your wrist will appear irritated; string of small reddish bumps, which can cause redness and burning; in extreme cases and in areas where the skin is more sensitive such as the earlobe, wearing gold earrings can cause eczema.

Prevention is better than cure

To avoid the discomfort of allergy you must take the reins in the matter. Acting cautiously will help.

necklace made of gold

  1. First, avoid prolonged contact with a piece of gold. If you are going to clean the gold jewelry or move them, use gloves for it.
  2. A home trick that I have sometimes recommended to my clients and friends is the following, but its effectiveness is not 100% certain: if you have earrings or gold earrings, paint the part that goes into the lobe with a transparent enamel of nail paint, so the gold will be covered by the thin film of paint and you will avoid direct contact with the metal.
  3. A family jewel is always a very dear object and wearing it represents an omen of good luck and happiness. What can you do if that piece is a gold ring, and you are allergic to this metal? Do not worry, you can hire the services of a jewelry store so that a jewelry expert lines the inside of the ring with a specific fabric, which prevent direct contact of the ring with your skin.
  4. Use other precious metals. If you like to look good, but you cannot buy gold jewelry because of your illness, value silver jewelry, they are also very elegant. Acquiring jewelry with novel and elitist designs, I assure you that you will not miss gold metal jewelry. I invite you to visit my designs and collections, and not only that: I can also design it for you from scratch, to your liking. Or even replicate that much loved gold jewel, and that you cannot wear, in another metal. Just contact me, and it will be my pleasure to help you in whatever way.

And if you found the article interesting, do not hesitate to share it on your social networks: for your health, and that of others.

Leave a Comment