Attention: This article is written for men, although women do not have to refrain from reading it, your point of view is also welcome.
The purpose of this article is to provide men with a guide to the use of jewelry, so that you can have a better command of the signals that you send. For better or for worse, men’s jewelry transmit signals about who we are, the commitments we’ve made, and our status in society.
Although they sometimes go unnoticed, these small pieces of metal and stone can have a great impact on the opinions of the people with whom we want to work or get to know, that is why in this text we will offer very important guidelines to consider if we want to send the right visual message.
We aware that in different cultures in the world, men wear jewelry in different ways, so we will try to provide the most generalized approach. In any case, we would love for you to tell me your own point of view in relation to men’s jewelry and the role it plays in your personal and professional environment.
3 Rules of Use
1. Keep it simple
When in doubt, our recommendation is that you choose a simple jewel if you don’t like to stand out too much.
Once you are comfortable wearing generally accepted accessories, you can if you wish to start introducing other pieces of jewelry such as men’s necklaces or bracelets.
2. Combination of metals
Most men’s jewelry is metallic. Gold and silver are the most common. Your clothes must present a tone that combines with the metal of your jewel, and if you use more than one jewel, it is appropriate that they be of the same metal.
Silver ring with zircons and silver bracelet with leather, JSecrets Collection
- Gold is a warmer color, it is associated with the sun, abundance (wealth) and power. Also with great ideals, wisdom and knowledge. It is a color that revitalizes the mind, energies and inspiration.
It goes well with shades of brown and other earthy colors, as well as rich colors like navy blue or dark green.
- Silver and silver tones of metals such as polished stainless steel or chrome are neutral.
Silver is also linked to money, which is why it is used as a material to make coins. In some Latin American countries, money is called silver. Silver represents greatness and luxury, although the main color is always gold, which symbolizes the ideal value, while silver, material value.
The color silver is symbolically close to white which also reflects a lot of light. Snow has silver and blue reflections, so we experience silver as cold. It is also related to speed and technological modernity, including chrome, platinum and all “silver” metals.
For example, you can combine silver cufflinks with dark gray or black clothes for a timeless and elegant look or you can wear it with lighter colors in the summer without the fear that they will overwhelm the soft colors of your wardrobe.
- As for precious stones, men must not abuse them. Something small, one color. Anything beyond that strikes me as a tacky display.
- Jewelry with leather parts that are preferably natural earth tones, not stained black, and never with flashy metallic studs, unless you are riding a Harley Davidson;
The exception to color matching issues are wedding bands and antique pieces. A man can always wear his wedding ring, and if it doesn’t match other metal jewelry he uses, don’t worry. It’s just going to get a bit of attention, and there’s nothing wrong with people noticing the visible symbol of your commitment.
As for vintage pieces, try to match, but assuming the piece doesn’t attract much attention (like a small ring or watch), the clash of metals is acceptable.
3.Understanding the meaning of the Jewels
This means that men must be careful when wearing jewelry that is “outside the norm.” It’s easy to turn heads when you start to include jewelry in your everyday outfit. However, jewelry can add a bit of color and uniqueness to your wardrobe. To balance your wardrobe with your jewelry accessories, here are three recommendations:
- Avoid flamboyant styles . It’s hard to repeat this point often enough. My recommendation to my clients is always that their metallic jewelry is small and elegant. That sets a classy man apart.
- Wear meaningful jewelry. We have already talked about wedding rings, which send the signal that you are a committed man. Other details that have meaning can be a ring belonging to a brotherhood or organization, a fraternal insignia, jewelry with symbols of your beliefs, your profession, your philosophy of life, or your culture.
Depending on the areas in which you use them, these jewels can open doors, conversation topics and new personal relationships.
- Choose the right occasion to wear your best jewelry: Save your best jewelry for the great occasions of your life. Personally, when I have to attend an important event, I take my watch and my original cufflinks out of their respective boxes favorites. It is advisable to have specific jewelry for specific events, each situation and environment, just as it requires a type of wardrobe, it also demands a unique type of jewelry to send the appropriate message.
And to finish this article today, I would like to read your opinions on jewelry for men, its uses and meanings.
What jewelry do you wear for different occasions?
Greetings and see you soon.